Skip to main content

A New School Year

I worked on this chalk drawing last night, hurrying to finish it for the morning.  I wanted it to be done when the dk's woke up!  I was struggling to find a subject to start our school year that was brief and that would serve both children, who are at quite different levels.  It hit me after a walk the other day, in which we saw a monarch, and then later that night.  It seems that planning out our blocks and then the individual aspects of them, never ends.  I spent half the summer planning our blocks - and this was a last minute addition, but a necessary one?  I really needed something to sort of usher in the year. A family  block.  

We started by going for a hike through a forest preserve, which just so happened to (lucky us!) have a little plaque about monarchs - with a pretty drawing of one too!  (We love art!)  So we learned on our hike that monarchs only eat milkweed and that it makes them taste YUCKY to their would be predators.  We stopped to LISTEN to the woods, SMELL the woods, and SEE what things we could scurrying about, or growing on the trees.  We collected some leaves from an ash, since we want to learn to identify more trees.  And we noticed that we don't usually see butterflies in the forest.  hmmnn?  Maybe they stick to the meadows?  

When we came home, we read a nice nature story (read it, since I have a REAL difficult time memorizing anything) but I had read it twice over already - and that allowed me to at least do a very nice, inflected reading of it.  I must say, despite my dd's protests, that she already knows all of this, she listened to the reading intently.  I know that for her I am really going to have to search out at least some minor point that she doesn't already know, or in some other way, deepen this lesson for her.  There was one little point in the nature story, which mentioned the tiny feathers on the butterflies wings.  I am curious as to whether she noticed that point.  I totally love that it is a story and not just spoon-fed bits of data. 

I ordered a bunch of books from the library, and hope they arrive soon.  Most are already on our bookshelves .

Comments

  1. Your chalk drawing is beautiful!!! here is a link to the tissue paper butterflies. http://theenchantedtree.blogspot.com/2011/05/folded-tissue-paper-butterfly.html Thanks for stopping by my blog. i'm your newest blog follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try...and think I am improving with time. ;-) slowly but surely. Thanks for the link too, I will have to do that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shelters & Dwellings: Nomads of Asia

We moved from nomadic cave dwellers to nomads of the Asian steppe- the Mongols!  We have learned a bit about their way of life and how they built their homes.  We copied this chalk drawing of a yurt and will attempt to build one with felt.


We will have spelling and vocabulary based on this topic and maybe a few math problems too - especially once we begin to build our yurt.  We will have some Mongolian food,some salty tea, and copy a map of the country, and read about Marco Polo and the famous Khan.






Resources for this portion of our block:
The Adventures of Marco Polo by Russell Freedman and Bagram Ibatoulline

Traditional Houses from Around the World by A.G. Smith How We are Sheltered by James F. Chamberlain Houses of China by Bonnie Shemie

To see the previous lesson in this block, look at the entry for Cave Dwellers.

First Grade Math: Sums - Matematicas de primera clase

Here is something that I found pretty neat!  Triangle sums (and differences too.)  These are fact families, written on a triangle.  We used old watercolors, and cut them into little triangles.  Each corner gets one number.  It is a nice visual for the child to see that the three numbers are related.

Aqui es algo que pense era bien divertida!  Sumas en triangulo (y para restar tambien.)  Usemos acuerelas viejas y la cortemos en triangulos.  Se pone el numero en cada esquina, y es buena manera para el nino ver la relacion entre los tres numeros.

Shelters & Dwellings: Cave Dwellers

Carrying on in our study of cave dwellers, I completed a new chalk drawing for our next lesson.


Since we started with Altamira and Lascaux, and since this is a region I am more familiar with, I decided to stay in the area for the time.  We are looking into some of the caves of the Mediterranean.  It was really a wonderful thing to study, because I was able to use my own photos and books that I had acquired while travelling.  The first hand aspect brought things to life in an amazing way.  

We focused on the island of Menorca, with its caves, Necropoli, Talyots and other stone structures that show how early peoples there lived.  I remember one place even where there were water drainage areas, which were essentially round depressions in the earth, which were used to collect and filter water, pretty state of the art for 2000 BCE.